Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Review: Disney/Pixar Monsters University Takeover

So, you already know I really like Monsters University, but do I like the party inspired by it?


Let me start out by saying that this party, I feel, is the first ever real advertising party.  Let me explain.

The only two other properties Club Penguin has infused into their game are Marvel and Shake It Up.  With Marvel, the only thing the 2012 party had that was from the product were costumes and the name on the logo.  The 2013 party added the Avengers' helicarrier and Tony Stark's tower (with little Easter eggs as well).  The Ultimate Jam: Make Your Mark party only took its name, logo, and two characters from the Shake It Up universe.  Otherwise, these parties were full of unique strictly Club Penguin ideas, having very little to do with the property the party was there for.

Source: Club Penguin Wikia


Now come to present day.  The Monsters University Takeover takes almost all of its ideas from the movie it's trying to advertise.  There are a few things Club Penguin invented to expand the world, but otherwise everything has some Pixar touch to it.

So, what do I think of it?  Well it's awesome.  Being a huge Monsters/Pixar fan, this is a party of my dreams.  The new music created for the party is phenomenal.  The rooms are as well designed as ever and they pack the tiniest of Easter eggs into them, giving film fans something to really get excited about (they do feel slightly different than usual, but that might be because Pixar had a hand in it, which is not bad at all).  The new game is hugely creative and very fun, though simple (it took me a few seconds to get my bearings, since the game doesn't spell out the directions for you, which is all right).  The costumes are well made and look nice both in artwork and in sprite form (although I do wish you couldn't see your penguin head through Mike's eye).  Club Penguin has created costumes for many great characters from both movies (although there are others from both movies, paticularly the first, that I wish were there), with all the major characters and some supporting ones I didn't see coming.  Knowing that Pixar had a hand in its creation is also very nice to know.

Source: Club Penguin Wikia


This party has some of the best replay aspects we've seen in a while.  While there are no mascots (fun fact: this is the first party since the Medieval Party of May 2011 without a C.P. character at it), the item unlocking will take you a while, both in the sense that there are new items everyday and that collecting those scare points won't be easy.  Despite this, unlike the hours of work taking pictures at the Hollywood Party earlier this year, this quest, while long enough to keep you busy, will not be as painstakingly long (as far as I can guess).

Along with that, I think the competition between the teams is another big aspect.  A lot of people will really want to see their team on top, which gives incentive to keep playing the limited-time game.  Also, there is the fact you'll want to play the game as much as you can before it goes away.

One of my only small gripes with this party is the fact that there was actually a fifth and a sixth team in the present in the movie.  The fifth team, which went unrepresented in Club Penguin during this party, is named HISS.  It is more of a Gothic team, so it makes sense CP and Pixar didn't put it in the party.  There is also EKK, a team very similar to PNK, that was absent perhaps because of the similarity.  It's not a deal breaker but I just like when tie ins are as close to their source material as possible.

Source: Total Film (They're not happy about their exclusion, either) ;)


Source: Pixar Wikia

But what if you don't like Pixar (which I think might be a hard thing to do)?  Would you like this party?

Well, if I were to guess, I'd say yes.  If you take away the part that this is based on a movie, you can just think it's a school party or a monster party with teams.  I think there really is something for everyone.

Source: Collider

Additionally, while this a small gripe, I wish there were more things to tie it with Monsters Inc.  Even if it is the Monsters University Takeover, they could have included more elements from the original.  Half of the island isn't even decorated.  Couldn't they have put things from the original or the prequel, for that matter, on that half?  Maybe Monstropolis, with the streets, Monsters, Inc. factory, and Mike and Sulley's apartment there?  Couldn't they have put the Fear Tech campus there? I feel there is so much more material to use.  I won't hold against them, though.  It's still a great party.

On a final note, I have to say one thing that worried me leading up to the party was that you wouldn't be able to switch teams.  I was concerned that CP might force you to join just one team, meaning you wouldn't be able to go to all the team houses or collect all of the uniforms (yes, despite being a guy, I will collect all of the PNK collectibles).  So, it was with great relief that I found out you could go from team to team, meaning I could experience the whole party.  Thank-you CP.  Thank-you.

Source: Monchocho


And, drawing on that last thought, thanks for making this party, CP and Pixar.  This party is one I want to come back every year.  Actually, I wouldn't mind it returning when the DVD hits stores.  And, since Pixar and Club Penguin did such a good job with this party, I wouldn't mind them teaming up for all of their future movies and past properties.

So, in closing, this nearly perfect party is a great companion to the great movie it's based on.  It's so great it might be my favorite party this year (and one of the best ever, certainly).  Did I mention they're both great? ;)

Source: Ramone14 (that's an ironic Pixar reference) ;)


As Billybob would say, Waddle On!
- Chillin43

3 comments:

  1. Actually, the last party without a mascot was The Great Snow Race in August 2011. Or if you want to get technical, the 7th Anniversary Party from last year, although Gary was on for the Halloween Party during that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was counting Herbert and Klutzy as mascots at The Great Snow Race, even if you actually couldn't meet them.

      Delete
    2. Also, I didn't count the Anniversary Party because it's more of an event, not a full blown party.

      Delete