Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

Review: Disney/Pixar's Monsters University

Since the characters of Monsters University are about to invade Club Penguin, I figured I'd review the movie, which I saw on opening night.  So, here we go...



Personally, I have enjoyed all the Pixar movies in different ways, with some ranking higher on my favorite movies list than others.  So, how does Monsters University rank?

Source: Wikipedia


First off, the movie has all the staples of past Pixar movies.  The funny script, the good voice work, the amazing characters, the inventive details, the Easter eggs only big fans will notice, the great music, and the brilliant artwork.

Source: Collider


The characters are, as always, great, with the new characters fitting in with the old perfectly.  Many of the characters from the original movie are back, and all are given very interesting back-stories, with some, like Roz, Henry Waternoose, and the Abominable Snowman, making unexpected cameos. These characters all look, and in some cases act different, making for a very enjoyable experience as we learn how they came to be the way they are in the first movie.  The new information on them gives us a much better look into their fascinating universe (can you tell I get into these movies?).

One thing I found surprising was that Mike is much more prominent than Sulley in this movie.  While in the original they both shared pretty equal screen-time, in this prequel it seemed like it was Mike's story, with Sulley being a supporting character.  After all, Sulley isn't seen until probably twenty minutes into the movie.

Another thing I felt was off was how the supporting characters were used.  Don't get me wrong, I still love this movie, but it seemed like the small characters we got to know had so much more story behind them that we didn't get to see.  We're not even fully introduced to some of them until half way through the movie.  Another example would be the rival university - Fear Tech - who is introduced at the beginning of the film, mentioned a second time, and then disappears completely after thirty minutes.  It seemed like Pixar was setting them up to be the antagonists.

Source: Pixar Times


Then there is the story.  As always, it's great.  It takes us from Mike's days as an outsider in elementary school to pretty close to the beginning of Monsters, Inc.  This is a nice way to connect the movies, but doesn't leave very much room for another prequel, which I would really, really like to have.

But, then comes my only other small gripe with the movie.  This is me really nitpicking it here, but the time seems to fly in the movie.  This comes both in the sense that I wish the movie was longer and that events seem to fly by in the movie.  As for the latter, in some parts of the movie, months would fly by from scene to scene.  Once you got to the Scare Games, there would be an event and then a few quick scenes to bridge it to the next one.  A deal-breaker?  Nowhere near yes.  But, I still want a three hour extended edition.

The story is also actually surprisingly unpredictable.  There are some minimal shockers in the movie that you won't see coming.  And, even when you are sure something is going to happen, there will be a small plot twist that will surprise you.

Source: This Roller Coaster Called Life


There's also the short film before the movie, The Blue Umbrella.  It is another great reason to see the movie.  It is also incredibly inventive and will make you think you're watching real footage.

Source: First Showing


Being an older kid, it did feel a bit awkward to go to a G rated movie (or whatever equivalent that is outside the United States), but trust me, this movie (even if it is animated, even if it does have the lowest rating possible, and even if it is marketed to the more youthful crowd) is not just a kids movie.  There is certain humor that can only be picked up by the older crowd.  And, while there may be a few things that seem a bit too immature and a bit too cutesy for the older crowd (For example: a scene where a recently graduated M.U. student talks to elementary students in a really nice, soft voice), trust me when I say this movie is truthfully made for all ages (and trust me, those scenes are few and far between).  Go to it if you want to and don't let anyone make you think that's not fine.

Source: Inside the Magic

So, is this my favorite Pixar movie?  Not quite, but it is pretty far up on my list.  It may even be ahead of Monsters, Inc., but I'd have to think about that.  (My favorite Pixar film is actually Cars 2 - I really liked the somewhat complex spy plot and really, really want a third movie.)

In closing, see this movie.  I mean it.  Monsters University is one of the best movies I've seen this year (and I see a lot of movies).  It has everything you want in a movie and more.  You'll laugh, you'll be surprised, you'll become so attached to the characters you'll feel bad when they feel bad, you'll feel good when they feel good, and you'll never want the movie to end.  I'll definitely be getting this on DVD the first day it comes out. And, please, Pixar, make a third.  And don't make us wait twelve years this time (although, if I was assured one would be made, I could wait that long; after all, this was worth the wait).

Bravo, Pixar!  Bravo!

Source: Animation Fascination


(Seriously, what are you still doing here?  Go see the movie like I said and then come back.)

As Billybob would say, Waddle On!
- Chillin43

(You're still here!?  What did I tell you!?) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment