Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

2013 in Review (4/7): The Worst of the Best

I have never really hated anything Club Penguin has put out there, but there's always just that one thing that was pretty good but you just shrug your shoulders when you recall it.  Since first is apparently the worst, we'll get to what I think fell short before we get to the best.

Source: Club Penguin Wikia

Worst Step-Back of the Year
The Little Things

In October of 2012, Lane Merrifield stated that the new stage of the Club Penguin journey was about to begin.  This year seemed to be a year of rebirth on Club Penguin.  We were clearly entering a new era of the site - one that I think is really promising and exciting.  But, were font changes really necessary?

2013 showed a barrage of microscopic updates that really don't seem to matter in the large scheme of things.  While I don't hate these updates by any means, I feel they don't really modernize or refine things like a room update to the Mine did. Club Penguin could be fixing bugs or getting that one project that's been sitting there since 2009 done instead of entering code to change the icons in inventories.

Source: Club Penguin Blog.Net

Worst Surprise of the Year
Spike Hike's Hints That the Medieval Party Might Not Be Gone

Don't play with my heart, Spike.

Source: Riffy CP

Worst Line of the Year
"For all you U.K. players..." - Daffodaily5

OK, you think I'm going to complain about how the United Kingdom gets so many more pieces of merchandise than other countries do.  But, no, that's not my issue with this line and others very close to it.

Now, Daffodaily, I really do like you.  I find you to be a very nice, sincere lady who I would love to meet in real life.  However, to be rather blatant, I'm kind of offended by your blog posts at times.  Let me explain.

This was the first full year of Daffodaily's blogging career, believe it or not.  And, it was this year, when her activity reached its peak, that I noticed a familiar pattern in her blog posts.

Many times when Daffo is addressing players in her blog posts, she'll talk like we all live in the U.K.  I feel kind of isolated by the way she addresses readers.  Did I walk into a club exclusive to those who live under the flowing Union Flag?

For comparison, Chattabox, from Australia, writes her blog posts in the general, universal way of those at the main Kelowna headquarters.  I wish Daffo would write her blog posts a bit more generally as well.

Dishonorable Mention:
The Spike Hike Comment Mentioned Above



Worst Stage Play of the Year
NA

The death of the Stage as we know it...


Source: Club Penguin Wikia

Worst Video of the Year
Exclusive Teen Beach Movie Interview

A groan.  That was my reaction to the thought of rewatching this video in the name of this article.

Now, I have nothing against Ross Lynch and Chrissie Fit, but I didn't feel that their answers were sincere.  I also don't like the fact that the interview is marked as "exclusive," given the fact Club Penguin is not a news organization who would normally mark things as such and also because I saw a few other sites that were promoting interviews with the actors when the movie came out.  It's interesting that I have such a feeling of animosity towards this video when I thought the party was amazing.


Worst Storyline of the Year
Brady and Mack

In 2012, two visiting penguins - CeCe and Rocky - came to the island.  Where did they come from?  Uhhh...we didn't know.  How did they get to Club Penguin?  Uhhh...we didn't know.  Why did they come?  Well, that we knew - Cadence had become friends with them through their similar musical interests and had invited them for a party.  How did they meet?  Uhhh...we didn't know.

In 2013, two visiting penguins - Mack and Brady - came to the island.  Where did they come from?  Uhhh...we didn't know.  How did they get to Club Penguin?  Uhhh...we didn't know.  Why did they come?  Well, that we knew - Cadence had become friends with them through their similar musical interests and had invited them for a party.  How did they meet?  Uhhh...we didn't know.

These stories are far to close to each other.  I feel that this vague Mack and Brady explanation was too much of a cop-out.

Source: Trainman1405

Worst Room of the Year (New, Redesigned, Limited Time Access, or Newly Decorated)
The Town (Anniversary Party Decorations)

This year, the Anniversary Party overlapped with the Halloween Party once again.  This resulted in a half cheery, half grim Coffee Shop being set with a dark sky and two other morbid buildings.  It was a faux pas if there ever was one in the design department.

Source: Tommy's Club Penguin Cheats

Worst Item/Outfit of the Year (Male)
Mike Wazowski Costume

OK, here we go...

I really, really, really wanted to like this costume.  I really love the character of Mike and the Monsters films so I really wanted to hold this one up high in triumph.

I really, really tried to like it.  But I just couldn't.

If there was a category for biggest disappointment, this would surely be the winner in almost any given year (this year, that disappointment would have been Businesmoose leaving Club Penguin).  I really disliked the design choice, from the fact that you can see the penguin's eyes to the bulkiness of it.

Meanwhile, Sulley's costume is one of the greatest of the entire year.  Oh, the irony.

Source: Club Penguin Wikia

Worst Item/Outfit of the Year (Female)
The Too Cool/Golden Bangles/Fuzzy Coat and Tights/Jet Stilettos 

This suggested combination from Club Penguin rubs me the wrong way.  Maybe it's the fashionista vibe I get from the combo.

Source: Penguin Lodge

Worst Item/Outfit of the Year (Both Genders)
Rainbow Puffle Costume

This costume doesn't represent the rainbow puffle very well.  Its colors seem too subdued.  It also seems bulky.

Source: Club Penguin Wikia

Worst Music of the Year (Score or Lyrical)
It's Your Birthday

This is a song that really doesn't elaborate on anything.  The beat's pretty good and I have nothing against Jordan Fisher.  I just feel there's more to be desired.

Source: Club Penguin Space

Worst Game of the Year (New or Rebooted)
Smoothie Smash for iPad

Moving your penguin in this game isn't very fluid.  It feels stiff.  This is all.


Worst Party of the Year
Puffle Party 2013

I've always found puffles to be fairly charming, though I've always felt that Club Penguin makes too big of a deal about them - especially this year.  Thus, I feel that this party has overstayed its welcome.

Sure, the colorful visuals are nice.  Sure, the Puffle Hotel is nice.  Sure, rainbow puffles are nice.  But, after all these years, it feels like the Puffle Party has been just running on a treadmill in the Puffle Hotel Gym.  Every year, it feels like we are doing very similar things.  This would be alright if there was some nostalgia to be found, but there is very little for this party in me.

Add in the frustration of P.H.'s sprite being broken and the whole debacle we had with the Care Quests and you have a nice party that just doesn't compare to the others.

I won't be mad if it's back in 2014 - but I won't be extremely mad if it's gone.

Source: Monchocho


As Billybob would say, Waddle On!
- Chillin43

2 comments:

  1. "Did I walk into a club exclusive to those who live under the flowing Union Jack flag?"

    It's called the Union Flag unless it's raised on a ship. I'm assuming you didn't walk "into" a ship ;)

    #TheMoreYouKnow

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Good to know. I'm an American and I'm fascinated by the United Kingdom, so I try my best to be accurate. However, there's no school course for this so I have to go off of just the limited stuff that I have read. Whoops.

    I've updated the post to reflect this new info. I'd give you credit, but I don't know who you are. Thanks, though! :)

    ReplyDelete