Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Review: Teen Beach Movie

As I prepared to watch the newest Disney Channel Original Movie, I thought about the many things I had heard about Teen Beach Movie.

Some said that it was great - that you could watch it over and over again and still find enjoyment.  Others said that it wasn't worth a watch.  

And then there was my feeling about movie musicals, which isn't incredibly favorable.

So, what did I think about the source material for August's party?

Source: Gbeye




First comes the writing, which is actually done fairly well.  Sure, there are enough cheesy moments for an orange puffle to chew on for several weeks ("You saved my life!" - Lela, who falls into Brady's arms after falling from a "harrowingly" tall two foot stage), but all in all, there are some really good, funny jokes.  I really enjoyed the banter between the mad scientists.  I also think the women's' equality issue that was large back in the time of Wet Side Story's production is touched upon well.

The plot is pretty interesting and unique.  The ending is predictable, although the way they resolve it is intriguing.  I also like the fact that the reason characters spontaneously break into song is actually explained in a logical way (except for the final song - why did all those random citizens on the beach decide to sing and dance with Brady and Mack?  How were they so perfectly choreographed and how did they know the words to the song so well if it was a spur of the moment thing?  Where did those guys get the "Surf's Up" paper props?  And, why did Mack feel the need to break into song?).

Source: Red Carpet Crash


Speaking of songs and dancing, both of those are done pretty well.  The songs have a good beat and the lyrics are nice.  They are also spread out pretty well, too.  The dancing is well choreographed as well.  However, I feel that they drug on at times - although that's coming from someone who, on the whole, doesn't like the movie musical genre (I mean no offense to those who do - I can see why people like it; it's just not for me). 

The characters in this movie are pretty likable.  Some of the actor's play their roles rather flamboyantly which is actually fairly amusing.  I do feel that many of them are underdeveloped, though.  I can't remember many of their names.

For a film on a relatively slim budget of less than eight million dollars (that may be a lot for you or me, but that's nothing compared to most movies), the sets and costumes are good.  The ones from the Wet Side Story section of the movie have a good, retro look.

Source: Teen (How appropriate... ;p)


However, the same can't be said for the CGI of the movie.  While there are only a few moments in which it is used, they look like something from a decade or so ago.  I won't really blame the filmmakers for it, but it's still annoying.

In closing, Teen Beach Movie was better than I thought it would be.  Sure, in my opinion, it's not the greatest movie of all time.  Sure, I won't buy it on DVD or rewatch it.  Sure, it has its flaws.  But I can see how others can call it an enjoyable ride.  It's just not my kind of movie.

Source: Video.Disney


As Billybob would say, Waddle On!
- Chillin43

No comments:

Post a Comment