Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Mobile Movement

The next update for the iPad Penguin app isn't even out and yet I have a lot to say about it.

Source: Who Said Nothing in Life is Free


Polo Field recently announced that when the next version of My Penguin comes out, it will change its name to - wait for it - Club Penguin!

First of all, I have to say this is incredibly unneeded.  My Penguin is a good name and one that shows you aren't talking about desktop Club Penguin.  Now when you ask someone to meet you on Club Penguin, which one do you mean?  It will just confuse people in the end.

Then there's the fact Polo said the name change is to celebrate this new phase.  Now, no offense to him, but how does a name change celebrate anything?  That's like washing your hands in celebration of Easter.  It means absolutely nothing.

Now, I suppose there could be some reasons behind the change.  "Club Penguin" is far more obviously a Club Penguin product than "My Penguin," which could be a completely different Disney game, I suppose.  This could also be done in order to acknowledge that My Penguin is no longer a companion to the actual site, as it was before, but is actually now another port for the actual website.

Either way, it's still not needed.  Now we have to write "the Club Penguin app" instead of "My Penguin!"

Then there's the fact that Club Penguin is planning on porting every room into the app within the next year.  Now, that definitely is a nice thought, but......

My reaction to this was, "meh."

(All hate mail may be sent to chillin43.inbox@gmail.com)

Source: Dan Penguin CP

Sure, that does sound pretty cool.  However, I just don't see a huge need for it.  Sure, it might nice from time to time, but it's not like you're actually connected to the real-desktop Club Penguin.  This means that you won't be able to meet mascots and there won't be as many people online, meaning there's less of a chance of seeing your friends.

Additionally, we already have igloos to serve as a meeting ground in the app - extra rooms from the game just aren't necessary.

Also, as a veteran of Club Penguin, I feel this is almost a step-back.  Club Penguin could devote up to (or more than) a year getting all this setup.  During that time, they could be creating new content instead of transporting old stuff.  They could be fixing bugs!

Now, before you call me a hypocrite since I have said in the past I love the idea of Club Penguin games being ported to mobile, let me explain.

You see, games on mobile serve a purpose.  They can be played on the go without an internet connection, which is a very valuable thing.  However, these room updates have to have internet to work.  The rooms also requires a lot more time and devotion to port than those small games do.

Sure, this whole grand idea sounds cool, but I'm just not jumping off the walls about it.  I'm more excited for the confirmed additions of Pizzatron 3000 and Smoothie Smash in the next update.  There's even a confirmed Cookietron 3000, which could be a spinoff of the classic Club Penguin game!  I love spinoffs!

Source: Club Penguin Speedy Cheats

As Billybob would say, Waddle On!
- Chillin43

2 comments: