Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Review: Gold Puffle Updates

Two new puffles in one year.

Is that even legal?

Source: Club Penguin Wikia

I remember back in the day when I was so, so, so, so excited to get the white puffle.  I could not wait to fork over the eight hundred coins required and get my hands flippers on one.

However, if the same thing happened today, I would not be as near as excited.  This is because Club Penguin has grown so much since 2009 - just walking in to the Pet Shop to buy a puffle would feel underwhelming in this age where there are quests at every party.  It would also feel too familiar - there needs to be something new to keep you interested.

That's why I love the idea of going on quests for puffles.  However, I don't think Club Penguin has mastered creating them yet.

This newest quest for the golden puffle has.....issues.  First, you have to puffle dig for gold nuggets, which as a concept is unique.  However, it takes too long.  Just as regular puffle digging, it gets old fast.  Being a children's game, puffle digging should be much more responsive.  On paper, it sounds great.  However, it's a lot more frustrating than it should be.

Source: Club Penguin Wikia

Once you have all the gold nuggets, you go to the new gold mine and insert them to the jackhammer.  And....you're done.

There needs more to the quest.  Now, I realize these things take time and money to make, but I feel that limited-time party features get higher billing than permanent features sometimes, as I think has happened here.  It should be the reverse.  Why spend more funds and time on a two week feature than one that will be there for years to come?

I believe there should have been a digging mini game to get to the puffle or perhaps a series of in-room puzzles, such as mazes and other things seen in the Knights' Quests at the Medieval Party?  Club Penguin's underground holds so much potential.

However, onto the golden puffle itself!

Club Penguin has always done good diversifying their characters and puffles and this newest golden "guy" proves that once again.  The animations that accompany this little "guy" are also done well.  I particularly like his/her dancing.

The design is far enough a part from the Stage version of it.  I really like the shiny-vive it has.  It really sets it apart from the yellow puffle.

Source: Club Penguin Wikia

The golden item digging that is exclusive to this puffle is great idea.  All of the items look really nice in gold and are some great choices to be available in the game full-time.  However, I do wish that Club Penguin would release a checklist for both the standard items and gold ones.  It would really help out a lot.  I will be incredibly annoyed by all the gold around the island in the next

P.H.'s appearance at this opening event is well placed.  I'm glad Club Penguin wants to bring her around the island more than once a year.

The new Gold Mine and updated mine entrance and main mine all look nice.  I'm really glad that the hard hats are now in a box; before it was hard to figure out that they were a free item.  It's a bit confusing to have the entrance to the mine extension rooms (Gold Mine, Hidden Lake, Underground Room) now on the opposite side of the main mine, though.

To close, regardless of my feelings about how the gold puffle plays into the big picture of Club Penguin, this update is a fairly solid one. There's still room to improve, though.  I never thought one would come, but I'm sure glad it did.

As Billybob would say, Waddle On!
- Chillin43

No comments:

Post a Comment