Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A "Stark" Contrast

I saw Iron Man 3 on opening night and really enjoyed it.  But is it proper to advertise this film to Club Penguin's audience?



While the Marvel Superhero Takeover was also created to promote the new Disney XD show Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., it is pretty clear it was released to coincide with Iron Man 3.  With the Mandarin being the villain, an Iron Man themed room, and several Iron Man 3 specific costumes available, it's pretty clear what Disney's motives were.

Source: Club Penguin Wikia


Now take in account most Club Penguin players are younger children.

While, I'm not saying younger kids are incompetent and can't watch the movie, I will say that this movie is geared mostly towards the teenage - adult audience.  There are a plethora of bad words (which might anger some parents), some deaths, terrorism, a complicated story, a couple "adult romance" moments (if you get my drift), and some dirty jokes.  Does this make it a bad movie?  No.  These things are pretty subtle and, like I previously said, I really, really liked the movie (so much so I'll probably get it on DVD).  But, is this the correct movie to market to younger kids?  Probably not.

Source: Teaser Trailer


Now that's not to say it's a bad movie for the more youthful part of the Club Penguin community - I'm just saying that the younger audience may not get what the movie is saying.  There are plenty of slap-stick jokes for them, but I think their parents may not like the aforementioned adult moments being displayed in front of their kin.

Now, this is not to say Club Penguin is the only one who markets these slightly dark films to their younger audience - how do you explain kid's meals with Iron Man on them?  How do you explain constant running of Iron Man 3 commercials on Nick and other channels of the like?  I know the younger community makes up a lot of revenue for merchandise and ticket sales, but the movie may deal with too adult concepts for some of the audience.

Source: Comic Book


In closing, I think this movie is probably the most marketable to the more aged of the Club Penguin community - the part that probably doesn't have as high numbers as the younger group.  However, I think it depends on the person.  I think younger kids can take this film - it just depends on the maturity of said person.

As Billybob would say, Waddle On!
- Chillin43

No comments:

Post a Comment