Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Review: Monster Beach Party

I will admit I was pretty picky when it came time to review the first ever Club Penguin television special back in December.  It was a pretty solid little special in all actuality, though a few decisions that the production team made bugged me.  However, this follow up special is so well produced that I can't even find petty things to complain about. Rejoice!  Our long national nightmare is over!


Across the board, this special is far superior to its predecessor.  The background penguins are more individualized than the mindless minions we saw back in December, to the point that several have lines and most wear unique clothing combinations.  The script is more intelligent, with less cliche slap stick humor (Remember the stage play in Walrus that I didn't care for?) and more dialogue.  More mascots show up to contribute to the story, and we get to hear their voices for the first time ever (GARY IS REX FROM TOY STORY).  The setting and objects in scenes are more detailed.  An interesting paper puppet animation style is used to keep things fresh.  There's a brief moment at the end that could be foreshadowment, something CP rarely bothers to do these days.  These are all great things that this special offers and the Christmas one doesn't.

The characters from the first special return in this chapter as well.  While you might recall that I wasn't huge fan of the bunch during their first outing, I do respect the fact that the Factory team is trying to create their own little clan of characters for their stories.  Now that I see them again, I do feel like they are starting to grow on me.

With all of that having been said, there still is room for improvement.  There are always opportunities for more witty humor.  The plot, while quick paced and interesting, could be less predictable and more complex.  The CGI puffles still could use some work.  But, it's worth noting that this is a rather short list compared to the last special, so nice job to the Factory Team for upping their game.  Here's to an even better Halloween special!

Score: 9.5/10

1 comment:

  1. So I wasn't the only one who freaked when I heard Gary's voice? Good to know :P

    2childhood4me

    ReplyDelete